MDaemon Server v18.5 Release Notes
MDaemon 18.5.0 - September 25, 2018
 Hosted email options with MDaemon Private Cloud are now available. To learn more, please visit:
 BlackBerry Internet Service feature integration has been deprecated and removed.
The BIS service (if it still exists) will now interact with MDaemon as it would any other
 WAB functionality has been deprecated and removed from Ctrl+U|Other.
MAJOR NEW FEATURES
 MDaemon Instant Messaging in Webmail
The WorldClient and LookOut themes now feature a browser-based XMPP client that lets users
instant message without needing to run the MDaemon Instant Messenger desktop application or
some other XMPP client application. Users can enable it from Webmail's Options | Personalize
screen, "Enable MDaemon's Instant Messaging feature in browser". Admins can enable or
disable instant messaging per domain using the Domain Manager, per account using the Account
Editor, or per group using the Group Manager. It operates on ports 7070 (HTTP) and 7443 (HTTPS).
 Exempt Webmail from Location Screening
Added a user option in Webmail to exempt Two Factor Authentication logins
from Location Screening. If a user has BypassLocationScreeningTFA=Yes in the
[User] section of their User.ini file, and Two Factor Auth is enabled for the
user, Location Screening is bypassed. This allows users to login to Webmail in
countries that would normally be blocked by Location Screening.
 Improved AD Integration
Users whose accounts are set to use AD authentication can now change their AD
password in Webmail if the "AllowADPasswordChange" setting is enabled in
\MDaemon\WorldClient\Domains.ini. It is disabled by default.
 Signature Macros
MDaemon signatures now support macros that insert contact information from the sender's
contact in its domain's Public Contacts folder. This allows default and domain signatures
to be personalized with the sender's information. $CONTACTFULLNAME$, for example, inserts
the sender's full name, and $CONTACTEMAILADDRESS$ inserts the sender's email address. Use
Webmail, MDaemon Connector, or ActiveSync to edit the public contacts. Blank values are
used if no contact exists for the sender. See the documentation for a full list of
The placement of MDaemon signatures can now also be controlled, if the sender wants them
somewhere other than the bottom of the message. Use $SYSTEMSIGNATURE$ to place the
default/domain signature, and $ACCOUNTSIGNATURE$ to place the account signature.
CHANGES AND NEW FEATURESS
-  ActiveSync: Enforcing the EAS spec so that full wipe of clients is only
possible if a policy has been applied.
-  Report Weak Password feature now reports an error if invalid or non-local
recipient is entered.
-  Errant AV definition count removed from UI and auto-generated emails.
This information is no longer available/relevant.
-  Added ActiveSync to the Accounts section in the left pane of the MDaemon GUI.
-  Low disk space calculations updated for large drives and auto generated
warning emails use MB now rather than bytes.
- (MDPC ONLY)  MDRA - Added ability for domain admins to export users
-  MDRA - Added mail list views (except List Administrators) for list
-  Webmail - Added options in the Compose and Options | Compose views
to toggle the direction of the editor.
-  Webmail - Added ability for remembering the collapsed state between
sessions for Favorite, Saved Search, Personal, Shared, Public, and My Folders.
- (MDPC ONLY)  MDRA - Added ability for Domain admins to give users access
to MDaemon Connector
-  MDRA - Added a completed action notification to the bottom of the page
when the user saves or takes an action on a page
-  MDRA - Added the rest of the Event Scheduling dialog for Mail Scheduling
-  Webmail - Added a plugin to the HTML editor that automatically converts
a pasted URL into a link
-  MDRA - Added options to set custom HTTP response headers for the built
in Webserver that WC and RA run on. Main->Webmail Settings->Web Server and
Main->Remote Admin Settings->Settings. The option to UseHttpStrictTransport
security is migrated when the server starts.
-  Webmail - Added an option to edit a contact after it is added from the
From header in the message preview and external message views
-  Webmail - Added the Days selection checkboxes to the Options |
-  Webmail - Added the ability to import an external calendar via URL on
the Calendar Import view. Added External Calendars view to manage added URLs.
-  MDRA - Added MultiPOP-retrieved messages to all inbound charts
-  WorldClient theme - Added an "urgent" indicator in front of the subject
heading on the compose view when a message is marked urgent
-  MDaemon can be configured to not create POP lock files, which prevent multiple
POP3 clients from accessing the same account at the same time, by editing MDaemon.ini
and setting [Special] CreatePOPLockFiles=No.
-  The Account Manager right-click menu has a new "Move Mail" option which
lets you select a new root path for the account folder structure (ie.. this
means you can replace the default C:\MDaemon\Users\ with an alternative).
Selected accounts will have their entire folder structure moved to the new
location. This includes all emails, folders, calendars, and really all
data for the account. Although you select the new root folder MDaemon will
automatically append "$DOMAIN$\$MAILBOX$\" to it so that the resulting filtered
mail folder paths stay properly separated. Keep the number of characters
in the root path as few as possible because there is still a 90 character limit
on the total length of the account mail directory field. The "New
Accounts" template's default mail folder path is also updated with this new
value. This operation can be used to easily migrate user data from one volume to
another either all at once or in blocks of users at different times. Pay
heed to warning screens. This operations moves and deletes your user's critical
data and there is always a potential for a mistake or failure to cause the
entire loss of it. Therefore make a backup of the user data before migrating.
This is easy by copying the existing root mail folder (C:\MDaemon\Users\ by
default) somewhere else manually (Windows Explorer).
-  Webmail - Added the ability to change the categories on a per
occurrence basis for calendar events.
-  Webmail - Added an option that allows a saved search to be cancelled
upon selecting a different message folder.
-  Webmail - Added an HTTP JSON API with full documentation located at
-  Webmail - Signature text in the compose editor now starts out read-only, to
prevent users from accidentally typing message text there and having it erased when
switching the From address.
-  MDRA - Frozen accounts are no longer allowed to login.
-  MDRA - Added Release and Re-Queue buttons to the Quarantine Queue
-  MDRA - Updated FusionCharts to 3.12.2
-  MDRA and Webmail - Updated CKEditor to 4.9.2 and added Speech
-  MDRA - Added "Importing Members" status indicator
-  MDRA - Added "Importing User Accounts" status indicator
-  MDRA - Added button to restrict MD folder access to Admins, Backup
Operators, and SYSTEM accounts at Setup | Preferences | Disk
-  The ATRN password field was moved from the Settings page to the Dequeue page
within the Gateway Editor and the ATRN field will not enable without a password.
-  MDRA - Added more Recommended Settings buttons to the following views:
- Security | Screening | Hijack Detection, Location Screening
- Security | Dynamic Screening | Options / Customize, Dynamic Whitelist,
- Security | Content Filter | Attachments, Notifications, Recipients, Compression
- Spam Filter | Spam Filter | Spam Daemon (MDSpamD)
- Spam Filter | Spam Honeypots
- Logs | Log Settings | Log Mode, Statistics Log, Windows Event Log, Maintenance,
Settings, Remote Admin Log Settings
-  MDRA - When deleting a message in the Queues the next message is
selected in the list
-  MDRA - When a log is filtered a user can click on a line and it will
open a frame to the page where that line is located, scroll to that line in the
log, and highlight the line.
-  MDRA - Added button in the log viewer to turn on AutoRefresh. The
setting for the auto refresh interval is located at Logs | Log Settings | Remote
Admin Log Settings and the value has a minium of 5 with a maximum of 9999 in
-  MDRA - Added sorting to the ActiveSync Devices list under Mobile Devices
| ActiveSync | Domains | Manage Devices. Sorting column and direction persist
between sessions in the same browser (saved to browser storage).
-  MDRA - Added ability to monitor, start, and stop SMTP, IMAP, POP3, and
MultiPOP services to Main | Status
-  MDRA - Added the 'Remove contacts which are missing name or phone data'
button to Spam Filter | Spam Filter | Whitelist (auto) page
-  MDRA - Added the Restore Queues page at Setup | Mail Queues/DSN | Restore
-  MDRA - Added avupdate.log to the log files list at Logs | Log Files.
-  Changed installer to only overwrite Cyren AV definitions if older or missing
-  Webmail - Added the ability to remove a contact from the common contacts
list when selecting a contact from the autocomplete list by using the "Delete"
key (in Windows) on the selected contact.
-  WorldClient theme - Made MDaemon PGP encryption options more visible to
-  MDRA - Added ability to assign/edit policy settings per account at
Mobile Devices | Active Sync | Account Management
-  MDRA - Added "Revoke All Accounts" button at Mobile Devices | Active
Sync | Account Management
-  MDRA - Added the Client Management page at Mobile Devices | Active Sync
| Client Management
-  MDRA - Added option to "Enable all domains unless explicitly disabled"
at Mobile Devices | Active Sync | Domain Management
-  MDRA - Added "Day of month reset bandwidth statistics" option at Mobile
Devices | Active Sync | Client Management | Select a client and click "Client
-  MDRA - Added "Enforce protocol restrictions" option at Mobile Devices |
Active Sync | Client Settings | Edit an item in the list to view the client
-  MDRA - Added more options to the Mobile Devices | Active Sync |
-  MDRA - Added the "Create Tasks/Reminders for Flagged Mail Items" option
at Mobile Devices | Active Sync | Client Settings | Edit an item in the list to
view the client settings.
-  Updated to MDaemon Connector version 5.6.0
-  MDRA - Added a session cookie to increase the session security
-  CalDAV and WebDAV now support the creation and deletion of calendar,
task, and contact folders from clients that support the MKCalendar and MKCol
-  CalDAV server now stores the calendar color property and returns it to
other CalDAV clients. At this time CalDAV calendar colors are not synchronized
-  Added support for the SASL-IR IMAP extension (RFC 4959).
-  Added IPv6 support to the XMPP server. Requires Vista/Server 2008 or newer.
-  fix to Webmail - Folder ACL editor corrupts non-ASCII characters in Hiwater.mrk
-  fix to MDRA - When you create a new mailing list with a group as a
member, a notification is sent to the actual "GROUP" entry
-  fix to LookOut theme - User Permissions for shared folder not displayed
-  fix to Mobile theme - Events are not loaded in the calendar view when
switching months or years
-  fix to MDRA - "To address is missing" appears in "send note"
content filter rules created by MDRA
-  fix to Webmail - In certain instances, a recipient's Display Name will
be sent in punycode
-  fix to MDRA - Unable to add Dynamic Screening blacklist entry to an
-  fix to whitelist@ and blacklist@ message parser ignoring \"From\" data when
split to multiple lines
-  fix to pfdata.dat file not updating when renaming a public folder via the GUI
-  fix to mail folders are not moved during domain rename operation
-  fix to errant data in email sent when accounts are frozen by hijack detection
-  fix to possible crash when closing Mailing List Manager
-  fix to MDRA - Up/Down arrows don't move content filter rules
-  fix to MDRA - Domain Admins cannot apply the password options in an
-  fix to MDRA - Added the De-list button to the Account Manager page
-  fix to Webmail - When the Edit IMAP Filters option is disabled, the Add
Filter option is available
-  fix to Webmail - Forwarding mail in the Edge browser causes message body
-  fix to MDRA - excess whitespace on DS White and BlackList dialogs in Firefox
-  fix to MDRA - DS notification address can be saved without entering an
-  fix to MDRA - DS system options visible on Protocols dialog
-  fix to MDRA - Dynamic Screening Options lists an "Always" log level
-  fix to MDRA - When moving a user from one domain to another, MDaemon
Connector permissions don't migrate
-  fix to MDRA - IMAP public folder extension is case sensitive
-  fix to MDRA - Going from ActiveSync Client Settings to Mailing Lists in
the pop-out account editor results in mailing lists without a side menu
-  fix to MDRA - Alias selection does not remain highlighted when moving
-  fix to MDRA - Cannot select default DKIM selector without selecting
-  fix to MDRA - Have to select No and then Yes to be able to save in
-  fix to MDRA - Exit Code condition in Content Filter allows non-number
entry, saves as NaN
-  fix to MDRA - The 'default notification address' field in the Dynamic
Screen feature does not support external addresses
-  fix to MDRA - German account creation error is partial in English
-  fix to MDRA - the Log Parser is only parsing the Routing log file for
-  fix to MD_VerifyUserInfo() not returning MDDLLERR_INVALIDFWD when
account forwarding address field is not a valid email address
-  fix to Minger server refusing "noreply@" as invalid address when it
-  fix to Webmail may truncate To header when sending a message to many addresses
-  fix to Webmail - Opening non-ASCII attachment on the Compose window in IE causes a
-  fix to LookOut and WorldClient themes - opening Webmail using MDIM by
clicking on a folder other than Inbox, results in the clicked folder missing
from the list
-  fix to Webmail - Pasting print screen image when composing message in
Firefox using print screen button displays image twice
-  fix to MDRA - DomainPOP rules do not show up translated
-  fix to MDaemon Statistics Database fails to upgrade from version 17 to 18 and
causes a hang
-  fix to possible MDaemon crash when archiving is enabled
-  fix to MD does not fully evaluate SPF records with deeply nested includes
-  fix to WorldClient theme - Other Headers prompt is missing the OK button
-  fix to MDRA - A message forwarded to a local account is routed to Remote
queue when released
-  fix to MDRA - Unable to click the "Client Blacklisted/Whitelisted" boxes
-  fix to MDRA -"Replicate aliases to LDAP" in Alias settings is not
disabled when LDAP is not being used
-  fix to MDRA - Shared Folders page doesn't refresh after adding new
folder from Account Editor page
-  fix to MDRA - LAN Domains and LAN IPs are not listed
-  fix to MDRA - Invalid email address allowed at Main->Webmail
-  fix to MDRA - missing string for Bandwidth chart
-  fix to MDRA - Alert does not work when Accessing Subscriptions page
-  fix to MDRA - Creation of user doesn't auto populate in list
-  fix to Webmail - Meeting request attendee is able to add additional
attendees to the event
-  fix to LookOut and WorldClient themes - Compose attachments screen may
not list all documents
-  fix to several MDaemon whitelists do not support IPv6 addresses
-  fix to Webmail - Meeting invite attachments that are included in the
message instead of the ics file are not added to the meeting when accepted
-  fix to MDaemon Configuration Session is not updated with changes made in
Remote Administration to LAN Domains, LAN IPs, IP Shield, and Domain Sharing
-  fix to MDRA - The Webmail Settings screen in Remote Admin's Domain
Manager doesn't show the default values for most settings
-  fix to possible WorldClient.exe crash
-  fix to MDRA - Always allow connections from IP doesn't accept IPv6
address at Setup | Server Settings | Servers
-  fix to MDRA - Refuse messages larger than field can be set to negative
values at Setup | Server Settings | Servers
-  fix to recipient blacklist is not checked when a null reverse path is used
-  fix to non-ASCII characters in signatures may not appear in received messages
-  fix to accounts are able to access ActiveSync even though ActiveSync is
disabled for the domain if auto-provisioning is enabled. Note: You must also un-authorize
any existing users from the domain that have already been granted access.
-  fix to MDaemon Connector release notes are sent to admins even when it's not